Changing the item code of a paid transaction

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not Planned
We would like the ability to change the item code of a service that has been paid, through the edit transaction screen (as long as it does not affect the amount billed or payment received).  Currently to achieve this we have to delete the payment received, amend the item code, re-enter the payment and then change the date of the payment to reflect the date payment originally received.  We have a lot of client's who attend their initial appointment without  their GP referral and we cannot bill a medicare item number without this, therefore we use another item number, once the client produces their GP referral  we can amend the previous item code used  to a medicare item code and client can then claim their medicare rebate. 
Photo of Anna & Val

Anna & Val

• 17 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of jacob van der plas

jacob van der plas

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
same question! thanks
Photo of Sondra Locke

Sondra Locke

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Following - this would be a very handy function as I can find mistakes that don't really affect anything important but they do affect in house reports we run at a management level. It's easy enough to delete and reprocess if it's in the same month but if its in a different month it's not worth bothering as it throws out EOM balances.
Photo of Hand Works

Hand Works

• 57 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Agreed! I had one of those just now and made a mess with it.  It was a different fee category so I had to delete the wrong transaction and rebill it, and that generated a new invoice number so I've had to explain that to the insurance company in the hope they won't make an error with the remaining payment.
Photo of DrMat

DrMat

• 15 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Also applies to WorkCover patients who may not begin care under WC as they didn't have a claim number but then would like us to claim.
Photo of Josie Tropeano

Josie Tropeano, Product Manager

• 64 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Official Response

Hi Guys

We are actually looking at tightening up editing and deletion of transactions rather than making it easier to do.  Generally this is not allowed in accounting systems to maintain the integrity of the system including reports and the inappropriate use of already issued accounts/receipts.  To do this we will need to introduce some extra entries such as “adjustments”.

With specific reference to 2 of the real world issues mentioned in the thread, we believe the following would be considered best practice.

Patient attends with possible work related claimable issue but Workcover Claim number not available

• Bill and charge the patient as a private patient and ask them to either recover their costs directly with Workcover or through their health fund until a claim number (and approval for treatment) is available. At that time start billing as a Workcover patient.

• Or if you are confident a Workcover claim will be approved, start billing as a Workcover client and place the account on hold and add appropriate file warnings until you have the full claim details.

Patient attends with possible Medicare claimable issue and Doctors referral not available.

• Bill the patient as a private patient until they are approved for treatment claimable on Medicare. Patient can claim with their health fund if available.

• If you are confident the patient is approved for a Medicare claimable treatment but cannot provide all required details such as Dr’s referral and Medicare card etc, Start charging as Medicare and place account on hold.  Medicare claims can be made up to 2 years from the consult date.

One of the problems with issuing accounts/receipts as a private patient and then changing it to either Workcover or Medicare items by just editing the item code, is that the patient can fraudulently, even if unintentionally, make an additional claim with their health fund.  What would be worse is if the practice made the claim on the patient's behalf with Tyro Health Point or HICAPS on the day and then later also billed Workcover or Medicare for the same item.

Photo of Stuart Blyth

Stuart Blyth

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

I couldn't agree with you more Josie, Editing past transactions is just a down and dirty way of fixing poor management practices.

The integrity past transactions and receipts etc issued to patient is far too important.

I for one want to see a feature than enables all past periods to be locked as soon as you balance off the day

(Edited)
Photo of Anna & Val

Anna & Val

• 17 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

I'd just like to clarify that in our practice, in the instance that we don't yet have the medicare referral at the time of the appointment we do not issue the client with a receipt. We enter the payment into our system as a private payment, do not print the receipt and only give them their eftpos receipt as proof of payment. We are aware of the possibility of fraudulent claiming so do what we can to prevent it. When the client presents with their referral, or the doctor finally sends it to us (up to a few weeks later), we then amend the billing code to medicare and either process their rebate on site or print them a receipt to take to medicare. We do not wish to change the amount of the payment, just the code, and only when we are confident it could not have been claimed elsewhere. Maybe the ability to put specific payments on hold to prevent printing or claiming via Frontdesk would be appropriate. Just today we have had 2 such cases, one where the client was going back to the doctor to get her referral, and one where the doctor faxed it through a week after the appointment. If either of these had been dated by the doctor later than the appointment the client would not be eligible for medicare.

In the case of Workcover, we have had cases where sessions that were approved by the insurer have not been paid as they have claimed no liability from a certain date but not informed us until later, if at all. In these cases it has sometimes been necessary to change the billing to the client, or to medicare if they had a current referral, and charge them private rates. If these changes were made would we need to write off these accounts and create a new bill to the client?

Photo of Lin

Lin

• 24 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

I agree with Anna & Val's reasons for the necessity to make changes later.  We also have some "serial offenders" who DNA who we ask to prepay the appointment.  We don't want to issue a receipt with the item code on prior to providing the service so it receipted under "APPTFEE" and then we need to change the item number once the service has been provided for them to claim. 

Photo of Anna & Val

Anna & Val

• 17 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Would it be an idea to lock a transaction once a receipt has been printed, rather than straight away?
Photo of Timothy

Timothy, Business Care Manager

• 878 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
That's good lateral thinking Anna. Let us think about it a little further.

Just a thought I had, the other problem with changing these codes is that it's unlikely that the private fee, WorkCover and Medicare fee are the same.
Photo of Anna & Val

Anna & Val

• 17 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

Actually it was my sister's idea, she works in payroll so in her system she can't change a payslip after it's been printed.

In our practice our private and Medicare fees are the same, it would only be different if we needed to bulk bill someone which is rare. Our WorkCover fees are different though. Fortunately we don't have to change from WorkCover to private often but we could always edit that, or private to bulk billed, as a fee reduction.