Delete Medicare claim

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Accidently made a claim to Medicare. Rang and cancelled it with them. When I try to delete the transaction it won't let me. Any ideas?
Photo of Trevor

Trevor

• 70 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Lin

Lin

• 24 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
This is also an issue for us.   The only way around it that I have found is to zero out the fee and leave the transaction with a note in events.   Would also like a way around this as we have had easyclaims that haven't gone through due to technical issues Medicare end and then we can't resubmit.  Again we zero out the original charge leaving the transaction and enter a new transaction in order to reprocess.   We don't utilise the online claiming as we had way too many issues with getting paid and not knowing which ones had been paid and which ones hadn't.  Could not get my head around how it worked and after a 6 weeks of trying gave up so we just use Easyclaim.
Photo of SydSportsMed

SydSportsMed

• 73 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
We write it off then re-bill.  You can then submit the new billing to Medicare via Easyclaim.
Photo of Trevor

Trevor

• 70 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Thanks Lin. Like you, I zero out the original charge too, but also change the code as otherwise it  counts in the number of claims made. Just would like to delete the entire transaction.
Photo of david donkin

david donkin

• 97 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
We don't generally have any trouble resubmitting them once the details that caused the rejection are changed BUT it is annoying have it sit in the "incomplete" list despite the fact that we have since resubmitted and been paid for it. We have found we can delete the straight rejection ones, (I don't bother calling medicare or DVA because when i have done so the staff on the other end of the line virtually kill themselves laughing that I waited in the queue for that)  but where there were multiple items or dates and one or more of the items are paid but not allocated - i presume because there was an item rejected amongst the claim - then these ones we cannot delete and they are annoying as the staff have to check and see if they are a genuine incomplete and need resubmitting - so I'm with Trevor an archive or delete feature or the ability to mark them as complete would be a good assistance
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Community Manager

• 357 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Official Response
Please find below the instructions to remove a cancelled Medicare transaction from Front Desk.

Within a patient file, a transaction cannot be deleted while a Medicare claim is still 'attached' to it. This is locked to maintain the link between the transaction and the claim, so it can later be processed online.

To unlock the transaction for deletion, the claim would first need to be deleted from Medicare/DVA Claims found under the System menu. Please only delete a claim if you are certain this is the correct course of action as confirmed by Medicare.

Once the claim has been deleted from Medicare/DVA Claims it will no longer be attached to the transaction in the patient file, which will allow you to delete the transaction.

Notice below that there is now no [+] on the transaction showing an attached claim. You may need to refresh the patient file before these changes will show by either moving to another tab, or closing and re-opening the patient file.

The option to delete the transaction will then be available.

Please note if you are advised to resubmit a Medicare or DVA claim, it is recommended not to delete the transaction itself and only the claim. This will maintain the link between the deleted claim and the transaction if you ever need to restore the original claim.

You can resubmit a Medicare/DVA claim using an existing transaction by right-clicking on the transaction and choosing a claim type under Medicare Online.

Note only authorised staff should have access to edit or delete transactions in Front Desk. User access can be managed by the Admin user from the Security window found within the System menu. Delete Transactions and Edit Transactions can then be enabled or disabled as below for each user.

Photo of Trevor

Trevor

• 70 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Thanks Andrew. This is a PCI claim and I submitted it for a wrong patient. I contacted Medicare and they deleted the claim. When I tried your suggestion, I got the message that "Cannot delete the claim. Claim already deleted by Medicare Australia." Thoughts?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Community Manager

• 357 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Medicare PCI claiming works differently to Bulk Bill claiming or DVA claiming in that it is actually processed immediately once received by Medicare. If you have submitted a PCI claim, the option to delete the claim is available from within Medicare/DVA Claims only on the same day. If you delete a PCI claim within Front Desk during this period, it will automatically send a cancellation request to Medicare. This time limit is necessary because if it is no longer the same day the claim was submitted, the funds would likely already have been sent and received.

The only time a PCI claim can be deleted after the day it was submitted is when the status is “Referred”.

If you have instead contacted Medicare and had the claim deleted on their end, you will no longer be able delete the claim within Front Desk. This is because the link from this claim to Medicare has been destroyed. Unfortunately in this scenario the claim cannot be removed at all within Front Desk, and the associated transaction itself can only be written-off if necessary.