Difficulty opening an Outlook 365 email ATTACHED to patient file in Front Desk

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Does anyone else have this problem - and a solution for it?

Do you use Outlook 365 as your email program? When I save an email to my desktop using Outlook, it saves on my computer as xxxxx.msg. So the file extension is "msg", but the "file type" is something I have never seen before "OemOobe.Document (.msg)".

I attach the email as an "attachment" to my patient file in FD, but am unable to open it. In fact, I am unable to open it in any way at all. I have chatted to Josh at the HelpDesk, and it may not be a FD problem per se.

Ever seen this? Joyaa
Photo of Joyaa Antares

Joyaa Antares

• 285 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Joyaa Antares

Joyaa Antares

• 285 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Problem fixed. :)

Turned out that I had two versions of Outlook 365 on my computer. One with EN-US character set, and the other was a newishly installed Swedish character set. The double-up of programs confused my computer. I have uninstalled the Swedish version and can now open up saved emails once again.
Photo of Gerry

Gerry, Senior Application Developer

• 119 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
I'm glad you were able to fix your issue! I'll leave my response here in case anybody else encounters a similar problem.
Photo of Gerry

Gerry, Senior Application Developer

• 119 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Hi Joyaa

This isn't a Front Desk problem, it's a Windows file association problem.

When you attempt to open a patient file attachment in Front Desk, we rely on Windows knowing what type of file it is, and which application is associated with that file extension.

If a file extension is unknown to Windows, or has become associated with the wrong application, then you'll be unable to open it either from within Front Desk or by double-clicking on the file on your desktop.

To fix this, right-click on the file on your desktop and select "Open with".

You will be asked to select an application to open the file:

If Outlook isn't listed, click "More apps" and then find Outlook in the list.

Tick "Always use this app to open .msg files" then click OK.

If Outlook isn't provided as an option at all, you may need to run a repair of Office.

To do this, open Programs and Features from the Control Panel. Find "Microsoft Office 365" in the list of programs, select it, and click the "Change" button. You will be presented with two repair options. Try a Quick Repair first, but if that doesn't solve your problem you may need to do an Online Repair.

I hope this helps.