How to remove protection from PDF invoices

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
We have requests from insurance companies about removing the PDF 'Protection' on the invoices that we are sending them as it won't allow the invoices to automatically import into their systems. It also stops our bookkeeper copy and pasting figures from the banking PDF reports direct into our bookkeeping system. Is there a way of switching this off?
Photo of Adam Woolacott

Adam Woolacott

• 61 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Julienne Locke

Julienne Locke

• 76 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Adam we have had the same issue! Actually spoke with Nathan on Wednesday at frontdesk about this. He reported that you can do this on selected machines but it means that all PDFs will be unencrypted and asked us to considerr safety of our files. Companies using "scan and capture" are reporting this us an issue. We are working around it by generating the invoice from inside the Transactions tab as it's only a handful of clients. And then "printing" the invoice and using Primo PDF as the printer. But with Life time care and support now on board it may mean doing that for upwards of 30 clients . And I'm not impressed with that.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Community Manager

• 375 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Adam

Front Desk does include PDF encryption by default, which is designed to stop tampering with invoices or financial exports. We do have a method of disabling this encryption on individual computers, however please be aware that leaving documents unprotected does come with some risk.

If you would like PDF encryption disabled please open a support case on our website for assistance: https://www.smartsoft.com.au/support/
Photo of Peter Cent Nat Ther Clinic

Peter Cent Nat Ther Clinic

• 11 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Cannot Copy Information from PDF Reports.

We regularly generate pdf reports (Banking Sheet Summaries, Patient Referrals, etc) for various purposes, and find it frustrating that information from these reports cannot be copied to paste into other documents or programs (such as pay spreadsheets, reports to business coach, etc). Could you please change the type of pdf generated, so that information can be copied from them? This would make our lives so much easier!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Community Manager

• 375 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Hi Peter

I have merged your post into an existing conversation on the same subject.

Front Desk uses PDF encryption by default as it's considered best practice, however we understand there are scenarios where this may not be wanted. 

If you would like PDF encryption disabled please open a support case on our website for assistance: https://www.smartsoft.com.au/support/
(Edited)
Photo of Peter Cent Nat Ther Clinic

Peter Cent Nat Ther Clinic

• 11 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi Andrew,

I did as suggested and arranged for the encryption to be disabled on my admin computer, but that did not solve the problem. I was then told that disabling the encrypion would then allow the pdf to be read by other companies or agencies who are using a certain type of software, which is completely different to what I was after.

We frequently generate various pdf reports and then transer the information into spreadsheets, one example being information from Banking Sheet Summaries into a spreadsheet to calculate payments to therapists, etc. If we could copy and paste this information it would save considerable admin time and be much more accurate.

I appreciate that many reports can be exported to excel, however doing so often creates additional work and so is not a sarisfactory option. (For example, the spreadsheet created when exporting a Banking Sheet Summary report does not have totals of all the Schedules, which the pdf does, so extra time is spent creating these totals.)

Can the pdf encryption be removed so that copying part of a report is possible?
Photo of Timothy

Timothy, Business Care Manager

• 898 Posts
  • 270 Reply Likes
Hi Peter. It sounds like there has been some confusion as I can confirm from our testing that when the PDF encryption is removed, you can copy and paste content from the PDF into other applications. 

Smartsoft uses encryption on PDF exports to stop the information from being edited after creation, which is best practice when dealing with financial information.

Typically, the encryption is disabled as some third-party payers are now analysing and extracting information from PDF documents, which requires PDF encryption to be disabled. Another reason to disable the encryption is if you need to copy and paste content from PDFs created by Front Desk. 

The PDF encryption can be turned off on an individual machine basis so that only select computers in your practice can produce PDFs without encryption. 
(Edited)