Practictioner name changing for client appointments

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
If a new  patient books an appointment the practioners name is selected as their practioner. If that patient sees another physio for what ever reason the treating practioners name has to be physically changed to correspond with the treating physio.
OR
 if that patient comes back down the track as an old patient it will only show the previous practioner that treated them, it doesn't pick up the fact it is another practioner even if the appointment is made in the practioners treatment column.
This system stuffs up reports for active patients when trying to print off the summary and trying to keep abreast of who is treating who. 
I even had a client come in who hadn't been in for 12months and in a report it came up with a practioners names as the treating physio who hasn't been with us for 11 months.
Can you please make it an automated thing that appointments are recognising the treating physiotherapists by where the patients name is place in the practioners column.
Photo of Justin Wray

Justin Wray

• 20 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Steven

Steven, Business Care

• 264 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Hi Justin

We don't believe that there is a problem with this functionality. There are many practices where a patient is associated with one practitioner. We are happy to consider your idea as a suggestion based on the input of other Community users.
Photo of Joyaa Antares

Joyaa Antares

• 326 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Hi Justin. Not sure if I understood all of this correctly, but under System Information > Appointment Book > Warnings ... do you have "Appointment made for non-default practitioner" checked? This could resolve some of what you are experiencing.
(Edited)
Photo of Joseph Lee

Joseph Lee

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Joyaa, I will give this a go and see if it helps.
Photo of Rebecca

Rebecca

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Agreed - we also find that the system keeps the default practitioner of someone who doesn't even work for us anymore and that is frustrating for down the line when pulling billings reports etc showing up old practitioners.
Photo of Joseph Lee

Joseph Lee

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Rebecca, have you tried 'archiving' practitioners that have left the practice?
Photo of Rebecca

Rebecca

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes we archive all of our old practitioners but somehow they still appear on billings reports
Photo of Joyaa Antares

Joyaa Antares

• 326 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
We archive departed practitioners and edit their name to put a 'Z-' at the start - e.g., Fred Smith becomes Z-Fred Smith. This way, on some of the screen lists, all the departed practitioners are moved to the bottom of the practitioner list and saves us a lot of scrolling.

We also have a "practice group" called Z-Departed Practitioners. We put all departed practitioners into this group, removing their previous group info.
Photo of Justin Wray

Justin Wray

• 20 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Yes even when you achive the practitioner that patient will still be linked to the patient. 
Photo of Judy Maier

Judy Maier

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
For us we need to know who their default practitioner is but the billing defaults to show who they saw on that day .... So no change required for how we use the program
Photo of Joseph Lee

Joseph Lee

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am so glad this has come up.  I have found it a problem for the same reasons as Justin and have often wished there was a way for the current treating practitioner to be automatically selected regardless of who the client saw initially.  I would be interested in a solution to this issue, if there is something that can be done.  Thanks
Photo of Freeman Podiatry

Freeman Podiatry

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

This is also frustrating for us as a podiatry clinic. A lot of our patients are on EPC and Medicare requires us to send letters at various times. We have templates set up for these but there is no way of selecting the practitioner (using standard letter tags) that saw them - only the linked one. As many of our patients see different practitioners each visit it is annoying to have to alter this each time we need to print a letter.

Photo of Timothy

Timothy, Business Care Manager

• 861 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi all. The Default Practitioner functionality is working as it was designed. It is a field that is manually set to show the practitioner allocated to the patient. In many organisations this may be the practitioner that initially saw the patient and may form part of defining a practitioner’s client base. When using this field you need to take into account that it will never automatically be changed, however staff can always change the default practitioner when required. 

Some suggestions when using standard letters with a requirement to print a practitioner name include:
  • If using the <<PracName>> letter tag, ensure that you have set the default practitioner correctly if the patient is now being seen by another practitioner.
  • Alternately, you can setup a custom letter template for each practitioner e.g. GP Referral Thank You Letter – Tom Smith etc. 
  • Finally, if you're after the practitioner's name only, you can use the <<PreviousAppointmentPracName>> letter tag to display the practitioner that last saw the patient based on appointments in the appointment book. 
Photo of Justin Wray

Justin Wray

• 20 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestion. It seems there are 2 issues now from what I first spoke about. People want a record of the first practitioner who saw the patient (currently does that). the second issue which I brought up the system should be able to automatically pick up the practioners name when the patient is booked under that practioners column. When you print a report of which practioner is treating which patient the information is incorrect. Seems like quite a few people have the same issue.
(Edited)
Photo of Freeman Podiatry

Freeman Podiatry

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hi

I have tried using the <<PreviousAppointmentPracName>> for our letter templates as you suggested, however, there is no corresponding letter tag to pick up the previous appointment practitioners qualifications. This is necessary for us as they all have different letters not just the standard 'Podiatrist' or B.Sc etc.

Setting up individual templates per podiatrist would not be viable either as we have about 10 plus standard letters and 5 podiatrists - thus 50 letters to search through

thanks

Photo of Steven

Steven, Business Care

• 264 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Hi Freeman Podiatry

The suggestion is valid, we are happy to monitor the interest in this topic. I guess we need to gauge how often people want to be able to display the qualifications of the previous appointment's practitioner due to competing needs for other functions.
Photo of Teresa O'Donnell

Teresa O'Donnell

• 40 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

hi we also find it a problem and are constantly having to data cleanse when a new patient sees one physio but then goes onto see somebody else. I would also like the system to recognise that when you click into a practitioner column to make the appointment and select the patient the default practitioner is automatically change. this has huge implications on billings currently.

Thanks

Teresa

Photo of Timothy

Timothy, Business Care Manager

• 861 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Hi Teresa. When you double-click on an appointment and use the Receipt/Bill function from the patient file, or right-click on an appointment and select Receipt/Bill from the appointment book, the patient will always be billed against the practitioner the appointment is booked with. 

Alternatively, if you search for a patient file and use the Receipt/Bill option on their file, the patient will be billed against their default practitioner. 

Hopefully this clarifies how you should be billing appointments.
(Edited)